August 25, 2014
Issued in both English and French by the Green Party, Electoral District #16 Memramcook-Tantramar
Distribué en anglais et en français par les Verts de Memramcook-Tantramar - La version française
NEW HOURS at the Green Party Office 69 Main Street, Sackville
- Tuesday nights 6:30 – 8:00
- Wednesday afternoons 1:00 – 4:00
- Friday afternoons 1:00 – 4:00
Green Party Lawn Signs have arrived and can be picked up at the office – the fastest way to get one --or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and address and one will be delivered to you as soon as possible.
New Green Buttons are arriving at the office practically daily and are very cool! You will want to have one of each -- and take a few extras to give to your friends!
1) Megan is at the Sackville Farmers' Market for an hour or two each Saturday morning to chat with anyone who wants to talk.
2) With the official launch of the campaign on August 21st, Megan's meetings, and door-to-door campaigning are in high gear. Opportunities throughout the Memramcook-Tantramar riding to socialize, meet and talk with Megan are being planned; dates and locations will be announced in this Newsletter, and on her website and Facebook pages as they are finalized. Be alert for details about these events, including a big BBQ during the visit of Green Party leader David Coon!
Recent Past Events
1) The National Festival of the Acadians (La Fête nationale de l'Acadie) in Memramcook on August 15th found Megan participating in the cacophonous Tintamarre parade! This provided her an exciting opportunity to meet and celebrate with many people living in and around Memramcook.
2) Green Drinks – Meet Your Candidate, Megan Mitton at Thunder & Lightning Ltd. in Sackville on Saturday night, August 16th was a casual, friendly atmosphere where Megan and Green party members mingled and chatted with interested people. Megan answered questions about her past experience, beliefs and convictions, and how she would translate her convictions into action when elected. She also volunteered information about issues she thinks are important for NB, with sustainability being high on her list. It was thrilling to see not only older party faithfuls but also many young people all socializing together. While some people chatted with Megan in groups, intense, one-on-one conversations about politics, issues of importance to the Green's, and the future of New Brunswick were taking place in several corners of the cozy pub.
3) Megan's canvassing this week in Port Elgin was well-received. She was pleased to meet many people who want a ban or moratorium on hydro-fracking for shale gas. “And...I loved the fries at C & J's Family Restaurant!” she confided!
Megan Champions Women's and Children's Health Care
Megan Mitton is passionate about the Green Party of NB's commitment to support the rights of women to health care through the establishment of comprehensive reproductive health care programming, mental health counselling, chronic disease management, and wellness support for women of all ages. She also wants to see a Bill of Rights introduced to protect children's health from environmental hazards.
Among Megan's many and varied work experiences, her recent multicultural and competency training, followed by a year and a half of work with homeless and low-income women and children in California, provided her with invaluable experience in strategic planning, evaluation and institutional changes, and fundraising, in addition to direct hands-on work with the women and children themselves.
Megan says: “Two key issues that contribute to the well-being of women and children, but are often overlooked, are mental health and nutrition. While prioritizing a 'housing first' approach, we need to support individuals and families with appropriate and accessible mental health services. We also need to invest in community-based food security initiatives that make sure each member of our society has access to local, fresh, healthy food and the skills to prepare it. I have seen first-hand the positive impact that nourishing meals and mental health support can make!”
Megan's Website: http://www.meganmitton.ca/home
Megan's Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/MeganMitton2014
Megan's page on the Green Party of New Brunswick's website: http://www.partivertnb.ca/index.php/en/news-events/media-releases/302-megan-mitton-seeks-green-party-nomination-for-memramcook-tantramar
We are grateful to the many volunteers who are already working hard on Megan Mitton's election campaign. We'd love to have you join our volunteer crew. Here are just a few of the ways you can help: Take a sign; help make and put up signs; canvass with Megan; assist in the Green office; talk to your friends and family; work at the polls; vote for Megan! Please come by the office to volunteer, contact Heather at email@example.com or Megan, firstname.lastname@example.org / phone: (506) 800-0619
- Janet Hammock
Member, Green Party of New Brunswick