September 16, 2014
Issued in both English and French by the Green Party, Electoral District #16 Memramcook-Tantramar'
Distribué en anglais et en français par les Verts de Memramcook-Tantramar - La version française
Only one week left until September 22, election day!!
Please consider voting in the Advance Polls:
Saturday, September 13 or Monday, September 15, 10 am to 8 pm ... so that you will be free to help on election day
Voting on election day...
September 22, 10am - 8pm
If you have questions about whether you are eligible to vote, how to vote, what ID is necessary to take with you, how to find out where your polling station is located, etc. the answers can be found on on this excellent website.
- Click VOTERS and a drop-down menu appears.
- Voters away from home, including students, can look here for information:
- For the first time Mount Allison University students can vote on campus:
Green Office Election Party
There will be a party in the Green Office on Election Day at 8:00 pm after the polls close! Come and watch the election results together with Megan and all her Green supporters!
This week we'd like to see everyone at as many events as possible to support Megan. In the countdown week, every positive action we take will result in more Megan Mitton/Green Party votes at the polls. Let's be highly visible all week, ready to answer people's questions, ready to show them why the Green Party is the best choice for a sustainable, healthy New Brunswick, and Megan Mitton the best candidate for Memramcook-Tantramar.
1) GREEN DRINKS – meet and chat with Megan Mitton on Monday September 15th 7:00 – 9:00 pm. Location: “The Pond” (the pub) in the Wallace McCain Student Centre: http://www.mta.ca/pub/
2) Tantramar Regional High School -- On Tuesday, September 16th Megan will speak about fracking to the Environmental Science class at Tantramar Regional High School in Sackville.
3) FALL FAIR PARADE in SACKVILLE -- Saturday September 20 at 1:00 pm. Megan invites everyone with causes that are similar to those of the Green Party to walk with or near the Greens in the Fall Fair Parade. She hopes there will be a huge turnout of marchers who share common concerns including reproductive rights and health, climate justice, and sustainability. Bring the children, bring your pets, pull a wagon carrying your favourite green plants: these important issues are of concern to people of all ages, and are 'inter-species' in their impact. Bring signs, banners, buttons, flags, drums, bells, rattle sticks! Come dressed as an organic ear of corn or a green smoothie! The Sackville Fall Fair Parade is a fun, festive event! Meet around 12:45 at the entrance to the Drew Nursing Home, 165 Main St.
Events of the Past Week
Megan's canvassing took her to Sackville, Cape Tormentine, and Murray Corner. The coming week will see Megan again in Memramcook and Port Elgin.
People were eager to take advantage of the opportunity to raise questions about their concerns during the Candidates Debate at the Monument Lefebvre in Memramcook on September 8th.
Moderated by Sandy Burnett, the Candidates Forum at the Tantramar Civic Centre in Sackville on September 10th was organized by the Tantramar Alliance Against Hydo-Fracking (TAAHF) to focus on the issue of shale gas hydro-fracking versus renewable energy in New Brunswick. It was well-attended with between 80 and 100 present. Megan Mitton of the Green Party, Hélène Boudreau of the NDP, and Bernard LeBlanc of the Liberal Party participated. PC candidate Michael Olscamp declined the invitation to participate. Megan Mitton emphasized that the Green Party is the only party calling for a permanent and unconditional ban on hydro-fracking for shale gas in New Brunswick.
As I write this newsletter Megan and supporters are on their way to participate in the Green Party Rally at iRock in Fredericton with Elizabeth May and David Coon, Sunday afternoon, September 14th .
The Mount Allison University Students' Union are presenting an All-Candidates Debate, Sunday, September 14th at 6:30 pm in Brunton Auditorium. This newsletter was written just prior to the
The Green Party's Memramcook-Tantramar Megan Mitton campaign needs your donations. Mounting a campaign is costly. Please give soon, and give generously.
There are several ways to donate:
- On Megan's website -- click DONATE
(make sure you indicate that your donation is for Memramcook-Tantramar)
- On Megan Mitton's Crowdfund Campaign:
- At the Green Office
From now until the election we hope to have the Green Office, 69 Main Street, Sackville, open every day and evening. If you want to help in the office, please call (506) 800-0619 or drop in and sign up!
Distribute fliers and canvas with Megan.
Help make and deliver Green signs. Green Party Lawn Signs: can be picked up at the office.
Carry a few of Megan's information cards around with you so when people ask about Megan and the Green Party, you have something to give them. Green Buttons are available in the office. Please wear several and pocket a few to give to your friends.
Invite your family and friends to join you at upcoming events.
At the Sackville Farmers' Market on Saturday morning, September 20th introduce friends to Megan.
March in the Sackville Fall Fair Parade on Saturday afternoon.
Facebook users: Post important dates and events on your personal page. Take pictures at events and post them on your page. Read Megan's Facebook page often, and “Like” all of Megan's posts.
Engage others in conversation about the upcoming election and let them know why you are voting Green.
Stay up-to-date on details re the local and provincial campaigns by regularly reading both Megan's Green Party Website and the provincial Green Party Website.
Megan's Facebook page:
Megan's page on the Green Party of New Brunswick's website:
- Janet Hammock
Member of the Green Party of New Brunswick